Monday, May 16, 2022

Some mechanics

It might be obvious to you, but it wasn't obvious to me, that the main move to use for this sort of narrative adventure is going to be Face Danger. You start a scene, face danger, with some gather information and seize and advantage, then end the scene.

In my run through Operation Green Steamroller I wasn't doing that (new system, new environment (I was using the Foundry client instead of pen and paper) and an early morning start) and I made some dumb choices. I think it's a mark of the strength of the system that I could still tell a decent narrative (I mean, my story telling needs work, but the mechanics still supported it) even using the tools suboptially. In the Rescue Steffon story, the system didn't clunk along, it purred and although I faced many more complications it felt like the system was supporting me so I could concentrate on telling the story I wanted to tell rather than wondering what the mechanics were up to. That's a nice feeling.

I still have to get to grips a bit better with narrating the story as I go but I think that will come. I'm still getting used to juggling both the rolling and the storytelling alongside each other but it's much easier this way, and it will only get easier as I get used to do it.

UPDATE: When you make a scene, the reason everything is a formidable challenge and you use the clocks is to set the ultimate difficulty of completing the challenge. With a formidable challenge you fill a box every time you mark progress. But if you have a four sector clock you're likely to fill the clock with a lot of progress left unfilled and so get a poor result on the Finish the Scene roll (although I lucked out on a four sector clock to rescue Steffon yesterday). If you have eight sectors, you're much more likely to nearly or completely fill the progress bar and so get at least a weak hit or even a strong hit when you Finish the Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Operation Orange Watchtower - two revelations and a training montage

Begin A Session When you begin a session you may review last session, set the scene, set the scene by envisioning your character’s curren...